Risk Factors and Resources for Teen Health
Major milestones of development happen in the teen years and as our world becomes more socially dependent there are many new pressures. Winnebago's Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) looks at major health risk factors for youth. Teen years are a cruical time for youth to work through relationships, accept their individuality and prepare for the future. As the brain works through critical development and the body deals with major hormonal changes, mental health can be strained. As puberty starts and sexual health factors come into play there a myriad of new questions that can be embarrassing or taboo to discuss. Below you will find topics related to teen health and some resources for both parents and youth.
- Safety - check out our safety resources that include topics for teens like medication disposal and lethal means restriction (PDF).
- LGBTQ+ (Learn more about specific health risk factors for the LGBT community, how to spread awareness and becoming an Ally)
- W.A.T.C.H. Winnebago Area Teen Coalition for Health
- Mental Health
- Learn about how you can support or get involved with the the re:TH!NK Youth Coalition (Healthy Winnebago County)
- Parents are the Key is a National Campaign that encourages safer teen driving and holds all parties accountable with a Safe Driver Agreement.
- STD/STI Prevention - 50% of all new STI diagnosis are among young adults age 15-24.
- CDC's Youth Development Web Resources
- Substance Use Resources
Tobacco - Tobacco use is still the #1 cause of preventable disease and death in Wisconsin, despite great strides made in the last 10 years to reduce youth and adult use rates, increase the cigarette tax and implement a smoke-free workplace law. The tobacco industry is aggressively targeting youth with candy- and fruit-flavored products designed to get them attracted and ultimately addicted.
E-Cigarettes and young people - Know the Risk