The Fish Hotel Kit contains a variety of instructional materials designed to help
children and adults alike learn about the benefits of leaving trees in lakes. Trees in
lakes not only provide areas for fish to spawn, but also offer shelter to help some
species protect their incubating brood. Large submerged trees can host entire fish
The Fish Hotels Kit includes:
- Fish Hotels, non-fiction (20 student copies) - Full-color, 20 page
- companion booklet *
- Fish Cards - Color photos of 19 Wisconsin fish
- Fish Hotel Lesson Plans
- Fish Hotel Poster
- A Second Life for Trees Poster
- How to Help Fish & Wildlife Poster
- Video links to short videos of real fish swimming through swimming
- though fallen trees
- Video link of Fish Hotel (picture book) being read.
- Educator Resources:
- Impervious Surfaces: How They Impact Fish, Wildlife and Waterfront Property Values
- Water's Edge
- Field Journal
- Wisconsin Wildcards - Fish**
* The books marked by an asterisk are tailored to the Wisconsin standards for
science for grades 3-5 (Standards SCILS1 and SCI.LS2), but have been used with a
wide variety of audiences including camps and special education classrooms.
** Wisconsin Fish Wildcards are provided by the Wisconsin Department of Natural
Visit the Center for Land Use Education "Fish Hotel" website for more information about the kits and to download additional resources.
The Winnebago County Land & Water Conservation Department has 3 Fish Hotel Teaching Kits available for local educators to borrow for use in their classroom. Contact Jody at 920-232-1950 or email@example.com for more information.