Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: How do I apply for benefits (BadgerCare, FoodShare, Childcare, Caretaker Supplement, Elderly, Blind and Disabled Medicaid and Institutional MA)?

A1: There are several ways that you can apply for benefits.

1. You can apply for benefits online at www.access.wisconsin.gov 24/7.

2. You can contact the East Central Call Center Contact the East Central Call Center at 1-888-256-4563, Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 8am-4pm, Thurs 12pm-4pm.

3. You can stop into either one of our locatons:

220 Washington Avenue, Oshkosh

211 N. Commercial Street, Neenah

Q2: How long does the process take to apply and be approved for benefits?

A2: The allotted processing time for a regular application is 30 days from the date we receive our application in our office, which we refer to as your application filing date. We make every effort to process requests as quickly as we can. When you turn in verifications or report changes, the processing timeline is generally 10 days from the date that we receive and date-stamp the documents in our office. Documents are processed in the order that they are received.

Q3: Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

A3: Providing the needed verifications for applications, changes and renewals is the easiest way to speed up the process. You can find a general list of verification requirements in the instruction section of a paper application or thru www.access.wisconsin.gov. However, there will be times that we may need to request further information. All programs require that you verify earned and unearned income; therefore, submitting your most recent 30 days of paystubs from your job is always helpful and can save time. Or if you are self-employed, submitting your complete tax records from the previous filing year (both personal and business) for example.

Q4: What is the fax number I can fax my verifications to?

A4: The fax number to the Central Data Processing Unit (CDPU) is 1-855-293-1822.

Q5: Where do I call if I have questions regarding my case?

A5: If you have general questions/inquiries, or if you want to report changes (for example, a change in income, household composition, address, rent/mortgage amount) you can contact the East Central Call Center at 1-888-256-4563.

Q6: Why do I get letters in the mail saying my case has been closed when I turned everything in?

A6: If you are in the process of completing your renewal, but the renewal has not been fully completed by mid-month of the review month, we are required to notify you that your benefits are scheduled to terminate at the end of the month. We are required by State policy to provide you with a minimum of a 10-day notice prior to the month that your benefits will be affected. In order to meet this requirement, letters are generated approximately 13 calendar days prior to the end of the month automatically. If you have submitted documentation around that time frame, and we have not yet processed the documents, we cannot prevent the mandatory notice from being mailed. This does not mean that we have not received the documents, but rather may mean documents are received and waiting to be processed.

Q7: I have turned in everything you asked for so why do you still need more information?

A7: We make every attempt to use the information that you provide to us; however, there are times when we receive documents that are not sufficient per program guidelines and we will need to ask for additional information or clarification. It is important you read all of the notices that you receive and look for the section titled 'From your Worker' as in many instances we will add specific information to assist you in understanding what is needed. For example, 'because you have requested a 3-month backdate on your healthcare application, we will need all paystubs from december through March.'

Q8: What is the CDPU?

A8: The Centralized Document Processing Unit (CDPU) is a virtual agency where members can submit documentation, and send proof/verification by fax using a cover sheet called Document Tracking Sheet (DTS). Members receive a Document Tracking Sheet (DTS) in the mail as part of a request for information, or they can obtain a DTS by logging into their ACCESS account at www.access.wisconsin.gov.

The fax number for the CPU is 1-855-293-1822. You can also mail your documents to the CDPU at:


PO Box 5234

Janesville, WI  53547-5234

Members are encouraged to write their case number or ACCESS number on the first page of a fax.

The CDPU is managed by the state and the county/local agencies cannot view documents that you submit until they have been processed by CDPU staff.


Q9: How long after my FoodShare benefits are approved will I have access to them?

A9: If you already have a Wisconsin Quest card (EBT card), your benefits will be on your card the following day. If this is the first time you are receiving FoodShare benefits, you will be mailed a Wisconsin Quest card from Madison the evening that your benefits are approved. You should receive your card in approximately 5-7 days. Your benefits will be available for your use as soon as you call and activate your card. Note: If you have ever received FoodShare benefits in the past, you will not automatically receive another card at the time of a new application. If you no longer have that card, you will need to call Quest Customer Services at 1-877-415-5164 and request a new card be sent to you.

Q10: What if I lose my FoodShare card:

A10: If you lose or misplace your FoodShare card, you can call Quest Customer Services at 1-877-415-5164 and they will deactivate your lost card and send you a new card. Once you receive the new card you will again need to call to activate it.


Q11: Why do the doctor's office and/or the pharmacy say that I have no medical coverage when I have turned in everything and I was told that I had been approved?

A11: The system that we use to determine your eligibility, and the system that the doctors/clinics/pharmacy use to see your program eligibility status are separate systems. It takes approximately 48 hours for our system to interface with theirs. Therefore, it can be 2-3 days before health care providers will see your benefits and coverage information. If you are experiencing an urgent situation, you can contact the East Central Call Center at 1-888-256-4563.


Q12: Why can't I get into ACCESS?

A12: If you have created an account in ACCESS and are not able to access your account, you may have to reset your password, which you can from the login page on ACCESS. Look for the statement "If you have forgotten your User ID or password, click here" located under the login button. Follow the instructions from there. If you continue to have problems, you can contact Member Services at 1-800-362-3002.

It is highly recommended you write down your ACCESS account information and store it in a secure place.