Kinship Care

Kinship Care is a program designed to help support a child who resides outside of his or her own home, either temporarily or for the long term, with the relative such as an adult brother or sister, a first cousin, a nephew or niece, an uncle or aunt or a grandparent, etc.

Kinship Care supports the concept of children residing with a relative to alleviate family stress or temporary familial problems, rather than being placed in a foster home or other type of out-of-home placement. For children who do come to the attention of the child welfare system, Kinship Care creates another placement option for a child who may not be able to continue living at home with his or her parents. Kinship care providers must also become licensed as a foster parent and meet state requirements. These requirements can be found on our Foster Parent Requirements page.

Our kinship care coordinator is available to answer any questions you may have about becoming a kinship caregiver   A kinship care coordinator or other case worker in your county will work with you throughout the process of becoming a kinship caregiver and having a child placed in your home.  For more information please contact the Winnebago County Kinship Care Coordinator. Click here to access contact information.

Text Size

  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Size: 100%

Like Human Services on Facebook!


ADRC Toll Free:(877) 886-2372
ADRC Fax:(920) 424-7521
Aging and Disability Resource Center