You or your family may be eligible for reimbursement of your expenses by the State of Wisconsin. Your expenses must not be covered by insurance, public funds or other available sources.
To be compensated, victims must report the crime to law enforcement within five days of the occurrence and file and application within one year of the crime. Victims must cooperate with the investigation and prosecution of the crime.
Who is eligible for compensation:
- An innocent victim who suffers injury from a crime
- A dependent or legal representative of an innocent victim who was killed as a result of a crime
- A person who is injured while helping a crime victim or police officer
- A person who suffers a reaction from the death of a family or household member
- A person who is injured in an automobile accident caused by a drunk driver
Reimbursement is made for:
- Medical expense
- Harmacy expense
- Psychological counseling
- Lost wages
- Loss of support
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Cleaning up of a crime scene
- Clothing or bedding held as evidence
- Homemaker assistance
No property loss or damage is covered other than above.
Crime Victim Compensation Information and Application