Shoreland, Wetland and Floodplain FAQ

Questions listed here are typical questions on any given day. The answers provided are the "short version" in many cases. More complete explanations can be found elsewhere on the site or by contacting the zoning office.
Back to Top

Am I in a floodplain?

This question is often asked for insurance or mortgage purposes in addition to making building plans. If you’ve been removed from the flood-plain for insurance purposes, it does not remove the lot or structure from the floodplain for construction purposes.

Building in a floodplain is allowed with restrictions. Building in a floodway is generally not allowed.

To determine if you are in a floodplain, connect with the County’s GIS/ Maps link on our website, zoom to the property by one of the several search options available, and query the floodplain layer on the map.

The mapping program will identify the 100-year flood zone, the 500-year flood zone, the floodway zone, or indicate if there is no floodplain.

Information on the GIS link will also include the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) floodplain map information for insurance and mortgage requirements. This will include the Community Number, Panel Number, and Effective Date.

Back to Top

Are there wetlands on the property?

Winnebago County has officially adopted wetland maps for the entire county. These maps can be viewed on the GIS website. Wetlands smaller than two acres are not mapped. The property owner may have to hire a private wetland delineator to map these wetlands on the property if there is a proposed activity or lot split which may encroach toward a wetland boundary. Wetlands cannot be filled regardless of size.

Back to Top

What is the shoreland area?

The shoreland area is the portion of land within 1,000 feet of a lake, pond or flowage or 300 feet of a navigable river or stream. The shoreland area can be extended to the landward side of the floodplain where applicable. To see if your property is located in the shoreland refer to the Winnebago County GIS website.

Back to Top

Can I put rocks on the shoreline?

This activity generally pertains to rip rap (not riff raff) which is done primarily to protect the land from soil erosion. Rip rap activities are regulated by the DNR. Please call the Oshkosh DNR office at (920) 424-3050.