Roads and Culverts FAQ

Questions listed here are typical questions on any given day. The answers provided are the "short version" in many cases. More complete explanations can be found elsewhere on the site or by contacting the zoning office.
Back to Top

How do I get a culvert permit?

You must contact the agency or municipality that owns the road right of way.

  • Named roads are generally controlled by the Town. You need to contact the town clerk or building inspector for culvert information on these roads.
  • Lettered roads, such as Highway GG, for example, are County roads and are regulated by the County Highway Department.
  • Numbered roads, such as Highway 76, for example, are normally State or Federally roads. These roads are generally maintained and controlled by the County Highway Department. Questions about culverts on these roads should be directed to either the County Highway Department or the State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation District 3 in Green Bay.
  • If an extra driveway is requested, it is again your responsibility to contact the regulating agency or municipality that owns the road. If a new driveway is allowed and it is longer 125 ft. you must contact the County zoning office or County land and water conservation department for a possible erosion control permit.

Back to Top

Private roads – what requirements apply?

Private roads are shared roads and or driveways that serve two or more properties. As such, the same public road setback requirements apply. Private roads within a condominium development have pre-approved setbacks that may differ from public road setbacks. Generally speaking, no new lots can be created on private roads.

Back to Top

What is the road right-of-way?

The road right-of-way is the officially dedicated area of the road which includes the pavement, shoulder and ditch. Utilities are generally located along the right-of-way lines. Measuring from the centerline half of the right-of-way width does not necessarily establish the right-of-way line since paved areas are not always centered in the right-of-way. It is always best to locate your property pipes which usually coincide with the right-of-way line. Hire a surveyor if you are not sure.