Partners in Parenting is a parent education program intended to help parents understand the importance of their role in getting themselves through their separation/divorce in a healthy way, so that their children can experience less conflict and turmoil within the family unit. This course offers parents education related to:
- Child development
- Full-service parenting information
- Barriers to co-parenting
- Effective communication techniques
- Conflict resolution techniques
- General information on the legal processes in the family court system
- Orientation to the mediation process
IS THIS COURSE MANDATORY?
Yes, this course is mandated under Wisconsin Statutes for parents that are ordered to participate in mediation. The course must be completed before participation in individual mediation sessions.
I'VE TAKEN THIS COURSE IN THE PAST—DO I HAVE TO TAKE IT AGAIN?
Possibly. Parents that have not been involved in mediation for more than 5 years since having taken the course may be required to repeat the class before participating in mediation.
CAN I VOLUNTEER TO ATTEND?
Yes, anyone can volunteer to attend this course by contacting the Office of Family Court Services. You must sign up prior to attending.
MY CASE IS IN ANOTHER COUNTY—CAN I TAKE THIS CLASS?
If your family court case is pending in another county and you have been ordered to mediation, that county will determine if you can take our class. You must contact that county, and if approved, then you may sign up to take the course here in Winnebago County.
DO YOU ACCEPT OTHER COURSES?
We may accept a course taken in another county. At present, we do not accept any on-line courses offered by independent, private agencies, to satisfy this requirement. You should call our office prior to attending anywhere else to ensure that the course will be acceptable to satisfy this requirement.
CAN I BRING MY CHILDREN?
No, children may not appear with you to this group. There is no childcare available during this class.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- Parents are expected to attend orientation in person. The course is generally held the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month in the Winnebago County Courthouse (415 Jackson St., Room 60, Oshkosh, WI) from 1PM to 4PM.
- If you believe you cannot attend the course that you are schedule to appear at, you should call the Office of Family Court Services immediately. If you fail to appear as ordered, you may have to appear in front of a judge for contempt.
- The cost of the program is $20 per person and parents should be prepared to pay this fee when they appear for the group. Exact change if paying in cash is appreciated.