Do I need a permit?

If you’re going to do any type of construction, it is a good idea to check with the County Zoning Office and the Town Building Inspector. 

Any external additions or alterations to a structure will usually require a zoning permit. This includes decks, dormers or roof alterations, lean-tos, replacement porches, etc.  Fences also require a zoning permit. 

Interior remodeling does not require a zoning permit, nor is a zoning permit required for replacement windows, siding, roofing shingles, etc.

Building permits from the Town building inspector are generally required for all of the above. 

In shoreland areas, zoning permits may also be required for fill, for patios (concrete, brick, or paver blocks) or for sidewalks/driveways within 75 ft. of the Ordinary High Water Mark.

Text Size

  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Size: 100%