The Winnebago County Health Department is an agent of the State of Wisconsin for all State required lodging licensing in all of Winnebago County except the City of Menasha.  The types of lodging establishments that require licensing per State Code and their definitions are:

Tourist Rooming Houses (TRH) - means all lodging places and tourist cabins and cottages, other than hotels and motels, in which sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to tourists or transients.  It does not include private boarding or rooming houses not accommodating tourists or transients, or bed and breakfast establishments.

Bed and Breakfast (B&B) - means any place of lodging that provides 8 or fewer rooms for rent to no more than a total of 20 tourists or other transients for more than 10 nights in a 12-month period, is the owner's personal residence, is occupied by the owner at the time of rental, and in which the only meal served to guests is breakfast.

Short Term Rentals - Thinking of renting your property for overnight stays? Learn about Wisconsin laws for short term rentals.

Hotel - means a place where sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to transients, in 5 or more rooms, and all related rooms, buildings and areas.

Motel - means a hotel that furnishes on-premise parking for motor vehicles of guests as part of the room charge, without extra cost, and that is identified as a "motel" rather than a "hotel" at the request of the operator.


 License year runs from July 1st through June 30th. 

Local Zoning requirements may also define allowable lodging types based on the type of zoning the property is located in.

City of Oshkosh Zoning Ordinance, (920) 236-5059

City of Neenah Zoning Ordinance, (920) 886-6125

Winnebago County Zoning, (920) 232-3344

How is my property zoned

In addition, campgrounds and mobile home parks are required to be licensed.