Frequently Asked Questions

Back to Top

I have been charged with a crime. I would like to have an attorney to represent me, but I cannot afford one. What can I do?

Immediately contact the State Public Defenders Office at:

300 Pearl Ave.

Suite B Oshkosh, WI 54901

Phone: (920)-424-3304


Back to Top

Where do I go if I need an extension to pay fines?

Payment of fines and payment plans are handled through the Winnebago County Clerk of Courts office.

Winnebago County Clerk of Courts

P. O. Box 2808

415 Jackson Street (4th floor)

Oshkosh, WI  54903-2808

Phone: (920) 236-4848

Back to Top

Are all court records open to the public?

No. All records in juvenile proceedings are sealed. Some types of investigations/court proceedings such as John Doe proceedings can be closed records. However, all criminal complaints in adult cases are public records.

Back to Top

Does this office handle child support issues?

No. Please contact the Winnebago County Child Support Agency:

Winnebago County Child Support Agency

(920) 236-4780

415 Jackson St., Rm. 140

P.O. Box 2808

Oshkosh, WI 54903 


Back to Top

When may I speak with the prosecuting attorney assigned to my case?

If you are represented by and attorney, we can only speak to your attorney. However if you are unrepresented and want to speak with a prosecutor, you have two options.

  1. Arrive at court 15 minutes before your hearing and ask to speak with a prosecutor.
  2. Come to the Winnebago County District Attorney’s office on Wednesday afternoon between 1:30pm and 4:00pm.

Back to Top

How can I check an upcoming court date?

Follow this link: CCAP 
Through CCAP you will be able to check dates and case status.

Back to Top

After the referral gets to the DA’s office, how long does the DA have to charge the crime?

Generally the Statute of Limitations for a misdemeanor is three years from the date of violation and for a felony it is six years from the date of violation. Many factors including, severity of the crime, age of victim, continuity of criminal activity and discovery of criminal conduct can significantly extend the Statute of Limitations.

That being said, we try to review all criminal cases within 60 days. After the matter is reviewed, you can expect approximately 30 days for the case to be typed, including the necessary paperwork to initiate the criminal process and another 30 days for an open court date.

Back to Top

Can I request restitution? Who should I contact if restitution has been ordered and I have questions?

You may request restitution if you have had out-of pocket expenses related to a crime with which a defendant has been charged.  Complete the restitution form sent to you in your Victim Witness packet and attach documentation to substantiate your requested figure. The District Attorney will request restitution as part of the sentence if you submit a restitution request. We cannot guarantee that you will receive any restitution.

The State of Wisconsin Department of Justice has a program to reimburse crime victims, or, in the case of death, their dependants and family members, for certain expenses they incur as a direct result of a crime. This program does not reimburse for property loss or damage. There are requirements that must be met in order to be eligible for the program. If you want to learn more about eligibility requirements or request an application, ask the Victim Witness Assistance Program or call the Office of Crime Victim Services, toll-free at 1-800-446-6564.

If you have been informed that restitution is ordered and the adult defendant is placed on probation, contact the agent of record for assistance. The Oshkosh office for the Department of Corrections, Division of Community Corrections phone number is (920) 424-1721. The Neenah office for the Department of Corrections, Division of Community Corrections phone number is (920) 751-4540. Most offenders are set up on a monthly payment plan. In some cases payments are not received as planned. Pursuant to Wisconsin State statutes, payments are disbursed by the Corrections Cashiers Unit in Madison, Wisconsin.

If you have been informed that restitution is ordered and the offender is a juvenile, contact Krystle Krzewina, Restitution Coordinator for assistance. His phone number is (920) 236-4962 or (920) 727-2880, extension 4962.

Back to Top

How do I go about getting a restraining order against someone?

To get a restraining order, contact the Christine Ann Center for Domestic Abuse Services, and ask for the legal advocate. 

Fox Cities Office

1488 Kenwood Center
Menasha, WI 54952
Phone: (920) 729-5727

Oshkosh Office and Shelter
206 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Phone: (920) 235-5998

Text Size

  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Size: 100%

District Attorney's Office

448 Algoma Blvd
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Oshkosh:(920) 236-4977
Neenah:(920) 727-2880