Prior to filing a complaint form, you must speak to a Code Enforcement Officer. This allows staff the opportunity to obtain necessary information to determine if a complaint is valid and if our office is the appropriate regulating authority. Investigation will not occur until this consultation has taken place.
Once a complaint form is received, it is assigned to a staff member for appropriate action. Gaining compliance is achieved through the following process:
- Staff member views the property to verify the complaint.
- If confirmed, a violation letter is sent to the property owner, who is given about two weeks to contact the Zoning Department.
- Once contact is made, staff and the property owner work together to bring the property into compliance. Staff can use their discretion as to timing of compliance. If cooperation is not received, a citation is issued. Payment of the citation does not negate the need to bring the proeprty into compliance.
- If the owner does not respond to the violation letter a citation is issued. Payment of the citation does not negate the needto bring the property into compliance.
- If necessary to correct the violation, the matter will be handled through court. It may take some time for the violation to get resolved; however, this is because of “due process” not inefficiency on anyone’s part.
- Staff will view the property following compliance to insure that the matter has been corrected properly.
There are some instances where an alleged violation cannot be resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant. Some of the reasons for this are: inability to prove a violation exists/ sufficient evidence; the matter was not illegal at the time it happened; inability to prosecture due to the nature of the violation, etc. Every effort will be made to bring the property into compliance.