Winnebago County now offers FOUR permanent medication drop-box locations. They are located at: City of Oshkosh Public Safety Building, City of Neenah Police Department, City of Menasha Police Department and Town of Menasha Police Department. These drop-boxes are available 24/7 and the safe disposal service is available free of charge to Winnebago County Residents. Please visit the Winnebago County Health Department webpage for more information about the drop-box program.
Please note, needles, lancets and syringes are not allowed in medication collection bins.
Used and unused sharps must be placed in an acceptable sharps container and taken to a registered collection facility. For current information on sharps drop-off locations, please visit the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Household Sharps website.
Medication Disposal Do's and Don'ts
REDUCE pharmaceutical and medication waste whenever possible:
- Buy only as much as can reasonably be used in the immediate future.
- Ask the doctor to prescribe only enough to see if a new prescription medication will work for you, and in the lowest dose advisable.
DISPOSE of the remainder properly:
- Utilize local permanent drop-box to dispose of your unused pharmaceuticals.
- If you are unable to take medications to one of the above, free, 24/7 drop off locations, render your leftovers unattractive by mixing them with coffee grounds or cat litter. Then place them in your trash for disposal in a licensed solid waste landfill.
- Flush waste drugs down the toilet or sink drain.
- Burn pharmaceuticals or personal care products in a burn barrel.
For more information, please call 920-232-1850.